09/19/12 - 0 Comments
Five Best Primers
In an informal poll of some female friends, we asked who among them uses primer before applying the rest of her makeup. We were rather surprised to find that only four out of ten had EVER used primer; only two out of those same ten used it with any kind of regularity. When asked why they had shunned what we believe to be quite possibly the most important step of our makeup-applying process, most responded that they didn’t feel it was necessary, or they thought it would make them look overly made-up. They felt that primer is something that only the fairest among our race of women (i.e., models) use. Well, for those of you who, like our friends, tend to shy away from the benefits of primer, read on to learn why you should make it part of your routine. Perhaps start using it for special occasions; once you see the difference it makes, you just may feel naked without it.
Just like a paint primer prepares a wall for paint, makeup primer preps your skin for foundation. It helps to even out skin tone and extend the wear of your makeup. Furthermore, primer helps your makeup to stay put, preventing embarrassing makeup meltdown. Primer also helps prevent another horrible makeup phenomenon: cake face. While the plethora of fantastic foundation on the market has all but made cake face a thing of the past, it’s still been known to happen every now and then and, believe us, it’s not pretty. A good primer will give your skin a dewy, healthy glow and in many cases will soothe and refresh skin, thanks to botanicals found in top brands.
We’re pleased to introduce you to four new primers that have hit the market recently, two of which we love for their SPF content. As we mentioned, primer is especially helpful in the summer, and what better time to have protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays? Hit your local beauty emporium to give them a go and find out which works best for you. We’ve also thrown in our long-trusted favorite, for good measure.
1. Dermalogica Skinperfect Primer SPF30: Silicone smoothes fine lines and creates a velvety surface on which to apply makeup. The neutral tint balances tone and enhances luminosity. Registered AGE Smart actives shield against free radical damage.
2. Smashbox Photo Finish More Than Primer Dark Spot Correcting: It’s all in the name: this product fades dark spots and acne marks over time, in addition to providing basic primer functions like improving radiance and reducing the appearance of fine lines and pores.
3. La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50 Daily Anti-Aging Primer with Sunscreen: Light-reflecting micro-particles create a “blurring” effect to correct signs of aging. Trademarked Cell-Ox Shield, a combination of sun filters and anti-oxidants, further protects from the sun’s harmful rays.
4. Revlon Photoready™ Perfecting Primer: The most budget-friendly option on our list, this lightweight formula softens skin and diffuses light to minimize pores and even out skin tone and texture. It creates the perfect matte canvas on which to apply foundation evenly and smoothly.
5. Laura Mercier Foundation Primer: We’ve always loved Laura Mercier for their flawless foundation, but their primer receives little recognition. The creamy gel formula, created all the way back in 1995, contains vitamins A, C and E that serve to protect skin from the harmful aging effects of the environment. Makeup looks fresh and color-true all day.
We leave you with one last tip: try stashing your primer in the fridge! Cold primer will feel delightfully refreshing on skin and will further reduce puffiness.
Photo credit: Beauty High